Bernie Shrosbree, Performance Trainer
Bernie Shrosbree is a world class athlete and a highly respected international coach and team building expert. He has an engaging personality and infectious drive and determination, along with overwhelming passion and mental focus to overcome the toughest of challenges, which mean that he is able to work with anyone from elite athletes to blue chip organisations on succeeding and finding their edge.
A former member of the Royal Marine’s elite Special Boat Service (SBS) and a world class athlete in adventure sports, today Bernie specialises in providing tailored professional training programmes for teams, corporate organisations, athletes and individuals.
Bernie has over 30 years’ experience of top level competition and coaching in various disciplines including adventure sports, nordic skiing, triathlon and winter biathlon. He has won TV’s UK Survival of the Fittest three times and has been runner up in the World Survival of the Fittest and Conquer the Arctic. Most recently, Bernie is credited with shaping up ‘Team Qinetiq’, made up of ex Olympian and adventurer James Cracknell, TV presenter Ben Fogle and Dr Ed Coats, for their entry to the South Pole Race 2008/9 in which they came second only to a team of Norwegian polar experts. Bernie has worked with international adventure racers and various Olympic athletes including the GB rowing squad, cyclists and world champion triathletes. In addition, he created the UK’s first Formula 1 Human Performance Training Centre and worked with drivers including Jenson Button, Mark Webber, Fernando Alonso and Giancarlo Fisichella.
He held the post of Performance Advisor for the Subaru world rally team working with drivers such as Carlos Sainz and the late Colin McRae. He continues to work within the motorsport industry with high profile drivers and teams to the present day. In the corporate world, Bernie has orchestrated and managed team building courses for companies such as Chase Manhattan Bank, Arbuthnot Latham and the NHS Trust.
On a personal level, Bernie is particularly passionate about canoeing and kayaking – a passion which led him to take part in the longest canoe race in the world in 2009 – the Devizes to Westminster Race, in a team of two with James Cracknell.
☞ Achievements :
- ● 1975-1990 Royal Marines.
- ● 1977-1982 British Cross Country Skiing and Biathlon team member.
- ● 1980 British Cross Country Ski Champion – competing at World Championships & World Cup.
- ● 1982/83/85 Winner – UK TV Survival of the Fittest.
- ● 1983-1990 Member of Royal Marine’s elite Special Boat Service (SBS).
- ● 1984 Completed London to Paris Triathlon – run London to Dover 120 miles, swim Dover to Calais 22 miles and cycle Calais to Paris 140 miles.
- ● 1984-1990 International Triathlete (English team Captain 1990).
- ● 1986 4th in World Survival of the Fittest in Australia.
- ● 1987 2nd World Survival of the Fittest in St Moritz.
- ● Team Bronze medal European Triathlon Championships.
- ● 1988 UK Long Course Triathlon Champion.
- ● 1989 Runner up – Conquer the Arctic.
- ● 1993-1994 GB Triathlon team manager / fitness adviser.
- ● 1995-1997 Performance Advisor to Suburu World Rally Team.
- ● 1997-2001 Set Up first UK Human Performance training centre at Benetton Formula 1.
- ● 2000-2002 Renault Formula 1 Director of Performance training.
- ● 2002 World Record team row Jersey to Poole – 100 nautical miles.
- ● 2003 Director of Performance training, Essentially Sports Ltd (management team to Jenson Button).
- ● Ran winter training camp for Olympic Men Coxless Four rowing team.
- ● Ran conditioning training for Bath and England rugby players, Bolton Wanderers Football team.
- ● Scott Olympic Mountain Bike team and Jenson Button, Giancarlo Fisichella and Mark Webber.
- ● 2004 Published ‘Inspired’.
- ● 2005-2008 Winter cross country ski coach for the men’s GB Olympic rowing team.
- ● 2006 Human Performance consultant to Swiss Spirit Le Mans team.
- ● Human Performance consultant to Mark Webber Pure Tasmania Challenge.
- ● 2008 Coached Team Qinetiq (James Cracknell, Ben Fogle and Dr Ed Coats) for South Pole Race.
- ● 2009 Completed Devizes to Westminster with James Cracknell.
- ● 2010 Trained James Cracknell for his Trilogy which included the Yucon Arctic Ultra.
- ● 2011 Completed the Moab 24hr Mountain Bike Race with Ben Fogle.
☞ Corporate Adventures :
Bernie is recognised as a world class expert in team building and motivation. He has worked with an array of corporate partners to motivate their employees and improve teamwork, with excellent results. Over the past 30 years Bernie has worked with companies such as Chase Manhatten Bank, NHS Trust, Arbuthnot Latham and JP Morgan.
His support team are also highly experienced including First Four Man team to row the Atlantic, originator of the WWF Blue Mile with Conrad Humphreys and competed in the desert on Tuareg and World Cup Rallies.
“In the last 2O years I have used Bernie’s inspiration and approach to improve the performance of many corporate leaders and their teams. I am confident that teams who do work with him will be better equipped for these very tough times.” Simon Scott, The Oxford Group.
“Using outdoor pursuits as a forum in which to learn has some advantages. It is a great leveller, where people cannot rely on years of previous experience. Everyone is in the same boat. The instructors are of the highest calibre. Every situation was completely controlled.” Participant from Chase Manhattan Bank.